Samara Business and Training Centre
EBRD selected CSEND to "adopt" the Business and Training Centre of the city of Samara, located 1000 kms southeast of Moscow on the Volga river to help modernise its training programmes and consulting business.
CSEND assisted the Samara BTC in developing its capacity to provide training and consulting services to its client system in the areas of:
- management development for large enterprises and military complexes undergoing conversion,
- business development for small and medium-sized companies,
- business creation by new entrepreneurs,
- policy advocacy with regional government officials and business leaders.
Specifically, the programme of the Russian-Swiss partnership project comprised the following elements:
- Business Development: CSEND assisted the BTC in assessing needs of the Samara region in consulting and training services, and in developing a marketing plan to implement its strategy.
- Staff Development: CSEND provided consulting to the BTC in assessing skills and knowledge levels of its management, trainers and consultants and proposed a staff development programme to meet market needs.
- Information System Development: CSEND advised the BTC in the implementation and maintenance of an effective management information and performance system to assist it in complying with the reporting requirements of the Morozov project.
- Network Development: CSEND assisted the BTC in establishing linkages and relationships with its local community, including commercial banks, financial intermediaries, business associations and government institutions.
- Small Business Creation: CSEND helped the BTC develop cooperation arrangements with EBRD-sponsored activities e.g. the EBRD's Regional Venture Fund, Russian Small Business Funds and other loan or investment projects.
After completion of the project, sustainable transfer of new management and consulting skills was made. Samara BTC was able to:
- implement new administrative delivery systems,
- train local regional business managers and government officials,
- strengthen relationships between the BTC and the community, including associations with commercial banks, businesses and government agencies,
- establish working relations with Swiss Chambers of Commerce and UNCTAD (Trade Point).
Samara BTC is now in a strong position to effectively contribute to job and enterprise creation in the Samara region.
Yiu, L., Saner, R.; "A Generic Working Model for Building Institutional Capabilities in Central & Eastern European Countries". Centre for Socio-Eco-Nomic Development, Working Paper, 1994.
Saner, R., "The Impact of Policy and Role of Donor Agencies on Small an Medium-sized Enterprise (SME) Assistance Projects in Russia" in Trappe P. (Editor), Problembereiche Interdisziplinärer Forschung. Berne: Peter Lang AG, 1999. abstract